Rental Assistance Demonstration (RAD) Units

The Rental Assistance Demonstration (RAD) allows public housing agencies (PHAs) and owners of HUD-assisted properties to convert units to project-based Section 8 programs. The Housing Authority of the City of Corpus Christi (CCHA) converted 100% of its public housing properties through Rental Assistance Demonstration (RAD) program.

One of the provisions of the RAD program is choice mobility. Choice mobility gives families living at a RAD property the opportunity to request a Housing Choice Voucher (HCV) and move into the private rental market with voucher assistance.

To be eligible, residents must meet two criteria:

1. The family must live at the converted property for at least one year. (The time lived at the property before the conversion date does not count toward the one year.)

2. The family must be in good standing. (ex. rent paid, not pending eviction, leaving no debt owed)

Our Rental Assistance Programs

Corpus Christi Housing Authority provides rental assistance to low income families in the Corpus Christi metro area. The Corpus Christi Housing Authority receives federal funds from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) to administer its voucher programs. The Corpus Christi Housing Authority administers about 2,500 vouchers. The total amount of vouchers that Corpus Christi Housing Authority administers is comprised of are tenant based vouchers and project based vouchers. The Housing Choice Voucher Program is the federal government’s major program for assisting very low-income families, the elderly, and the disabled to rent decent, safe and sanitary housing in the private market. Since the rental assistance is provided on behalf of the family or individual, participants are able to find and lease privately owned housing, including single family homes, townhouses and apartments. The participant is free to choose any housing that meets the requirements of the program and is not limited to units located in subsidized housing projects.


  1. Our process takes 60-90 days
  2. You must give your landlord a proper written vacate notice. Please have your landlord sign your vacate notice
  3. You must be recertified before you can receive your voucher and moving packet
  4. The voucher will be issued for only 60 days
  5. You must be approved by a landlord and have the briefing packet (including the RFTA) completed before it is determined if the rent is affordable under the 40% rule
  6. If you qualify for the unit, the utilities must be turned on and the inspection will be scheduled
  7. The unit must pass inspection before you move in
  8. The Section 8 assistance will not begin until the 1st of the month following the passed inspection
  1. Supply any information that the HA or HUD determines to be necessary including evidence of citizenship or eligible immigration status, and information for use in a regularly scheduled reexamination or interim reexamination of family income and composition. All information the family supplies must be true and complete.
  2. Disclose and verify social security numbers and sign and submit consent forms
  3. Supply any information requested by the HA to verify that the family is living in the unit or information related to family absence from the unit.
  4. Promptly notify the HA in writing when the family is away from the unit for an extended period of time (more than 30 consecutive days).
  5. Allow the HA to inspect the unit at reasonable times and after reasonable notice.
  6. Give written notice to the HA and the owner before the family moves out of the unit or terminates the lease.
  7. Promptly give the HA a copy of any owner eviction notice.
  8. Use the assisted unit for residence by the family. The unit must be the family’s only residence.
  9. Promptly notify the HA within ten (10) days of the birth, adoption, or court awarded custody of a child.
  10. Request HA approval to add any other family member as an occupant of the unit, before they move in.
  11. Notify the HA, in writing, within ten (10) days if any family member no longer resides in the unit.
  12. Pay utility bills and provide and maintain any appliances that the owner is not required to provide under the lease.
  1. Commit any serious or repeated violation of the lease.
  2. Sublease or let the unit or assign the lease or transfer the unit.
  3. Own or have any interest in the unit (other than a cooperative, or the owner of a manufactured home leasing a manufactured home space).
  4. Commit fraud, bribery, or any other corrupt or criminal act in connection with the program.
  5. Participate in illegal drug or violent criminal activity.
  6. Receive Section 8 tenant-based program housing assistance while receiving another housing subsidy, for the same unit or a different unit under any other Federal, State or local housing assistance program.
  7. Damage the unit or premises (other than damage from ordinary wear and tear) or permit any guest to damage the unit or premises.
  8. Receive Section 8 tenant-based program housing assistance while residing in a unit owned by a parent, child grandparent, grandchild, sister or brother of any member of the family, unless the HA has determined (and has notified the owner and the family of such determination) that approving rental of the unit, notwithstanding such relationship, would provide reasonable accommodation for a family member who is a person with disabilities.
  9. Engage in illegal use of a controlled substance; or abuse of alcohol that threatens the health and safety or right to peaceful enjoyment of the premises by other residents.